Thursday, April 16, 2009

Orange clothes and Leno humor

Jay Leno is rarely funny, but this one was good.

July 1, 1996 - Hotmail was opened.
The next day: The inbox was full of emails from African princes who wanted to share their money with you, and penis enlargement gimmicks.

Some people may not find it funny, I am aware of that. But I'm not a big fan of 'katu kutu diye hashano'. Same reason I could never really find kalo comedians too funny. They have no relevance in real life. At least, mine. Leno, on the other hand, and most other late night show hosts talk about the real deal, stuff that's going on in the real world. It's what we would call contextual comedy if you want to call it comedy. And THAT is why it's funny. Give me all kinds of humor other than the slapstick underarm tickling kind.

It wasn't, however, my intention to talk about my pet peeve(s).

I wanted to talk about the monk with whom I had a very controvertial conversation about how we should continue to maintain the food chain by consuming meat, while he argued about how the meat processing industry costs the environment by releasing green house gases. But that's only in the Western world where they don't slaughter their cows in their own backyards, I reminded him. He also said he thinks if people did raise the cattle they ate, they wouldn't really be able to kill them because of the connection they'd be making with them. I told him that I watched chicken being slaughtered as a child and it never affected me. But what did get to me was this - chicken (and beef) apparently sits in our stomachs for days before being completley digested. That's what my mother had told me. That it's released from the body once it rots. I found it disgusting. I now only eat tuna burgers and tuna sandwiches. So in principle I had no point, but in reality I did.

This argument was of course after the monk cooked for us and showed us how to make a vegetarian dish - which was actually really good. I had two plates of it :S And I didn't mind that he was a good looking monk, even though he wore the orange garb and the strings and beads around his neck. Does that make me a nimok haram? I wonder. Gay, maybe, but not nimok haram, right?

No comments: