Saturday, March 14, 2009

TypeCasted

In previous posts I had discussed the Bengali fixation on being fair (and thus lovely) and how the advent of white makeup in addition to Filipino magic hands (that promise to make people white in exchange for large sums of cash) is nothing short of a miracle in the minds of those who adore the color white. What I had not talked about (at all) is the opposite of that. Those who claim 'kaloi holo jogoter alo' is probably just as freaky as the White wannabes, wouldn't you say? While it's perfectly normal to have a preference, I see no reason why we must add reason and logic to it. It's like love. Do we decide to love someone? Or does it happen on its own and then we add reason and logic to it? I believe it's the latter. Why else do we so often fall for the wrong people? If logic had anything to do with it, we probably wouldn't have. The natural outcome of a decision based on reason is supposed to be a positive one, they tell us. I doubt they're completely wrong.

Another thing I've been thinking about lately (not too hard, don't worry): do we all have a 'type' of person we fall in love with? This guy I know have dated a lot of horizontally gifted women - not to mean they're not attractive, because they are, but they all had this one characteristic in common. Maybe there were others, but I don't know them well enough to spot it. So would it be safe to assume that he only likes this one type of women? Or is it all a coincidence? I don't think I'll ever know. My own experience with the opposite gender tells me that there is no 'type' but I never actively selected the people I dated - I've said yes/no to people who approached me. So my experience would show that I have not attracted the same types of people but it says nothing about what my type is. And hence the question, do I have a type?

So my question is: do YOU have a type?

No comments: